SLIDER

lemon yoghurt bundt cake



A few weeks back I was invited to dinner by a friend and as always, I offered to bring a dessert. My friend's son doesn't like chocolate or creamy things so that means I usually bring along a fruit or citrus based dessert. I was time poor, so that ruled out a fruit dessert so I thought I'd whip up a lemon yoghurt cake. The recipe uses oil instead of butter so I didn't have to cream the butter and sugar. There was still a lot of measuring, lemon juicing and rind grating though but once that's done, it's quick to put together. 



I've made this cake before as a mini version but this was the first time I'd made the large model. Whenever I make a bundt cake, I'm always a little terrified that the cake won't unmould successfully from the tin. I very thoroughly greased and floured the tin then kept my fingers crossed. Thankfully the cake came out of the mould without the need to resort to violence.



A little drizzle of icing never goes astray and the thyme leaves seem to enhance the lemon flavour.



As I was bringing the cake along for dessert I couldn't cut a sneaky slice to show you how the cake looks inside. It's not a fluffy cake by any means. It's moist, quite tangy and solid in texture but not heavy or dense, if you know what I mean.



Here's the recipe for you. For all my recipes I use a 250 ml cup and a 20 ml tablespoon. All eggs are 60 grams and my oven is a conventional oven not fan forced, so you may need to reduce your oven temperature by 20°C.

Lemon Yoghurt Cake

Ingredients
1⅓ cups caster sugar
2 eggs
2 tbl finely grated lemon rind (2 small lemons)
200 ml vegetable oil
2½ cups self-raising flour
Pinch salt
1 cup Greek yoghurt
⅔ cup lemon juice

Lemon drizzle icing
1 cup icing sugar, sifted
2 tbs lemon juice
2 tsp melted butter
a little boiling water
Fresh thyme leaves

Method
Preheat oven to 180°C (conventional). Grease and flour a large bundt tin.

In a large bowl, combine the caster sugar, the egg and the grated lemon rind. Gradually add the oil and mix thoroughly.

Sift the flour with the pinch of salt and stir into the egg mixture in thirds, alternately with the yoghurt and the lemon juice. Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake for 50 minutes. The top should be golden and when tested, a skewer comes out clean. Cool the cake in the tin for 10 minutes then turn out onto a rack.

Icing
To make the icing, combine the sifted icing sugar with the lemon juice and the melted butter in a small bowl. Add a little boiling water to make a smooth icing. Drizzle the icing over the cake then decorate with fresh thyme leaves.



Not much longer now 'til I fly to South Africa. Just 10 more sleeps! 

See you all again next week with some more baking from my kitchen.

Bye for now,

Jillian
PRINT RECIPE

No comments

Post a Comment

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.