SLIDER

peach raspberry and ricotta crumble cake



When I was home in Brisbane at Christmas I found a recipe in a magazine for a peach raspberry and ricotta crumble cake. As the cake recipe contained 3 of my favourite ingredients - peaches, raspberries and ricotta - I knew I had to make it. As soon as I was back home in Sydney I made the cake and it languished in the freezer waiting for my colleagues to return to work. A few weeks back I defrosted the cake and photographed it before taking it into work to share with my colleagues.



When making the cake I found the cake batter a bit dry compared to my usual fruit cake recipe so I added an additional egg and some extra milk to the batter. My cake also refused to brown so I baked it a bit longer than suggested hoping it would take on some more colour but it didn't really. I guess that's why you sprinkle the cake with icing sugar before serving.



Here's the recipe for you, adapted from a Gourmet Traveller recipe. For all my recipes I use a 250ml cup and a 20 ml tablespoon, unsalted butter and 60g eggs. My oven is a conventional gas oven so if your oven is fan forced you may need to reduce the oven temperature by 20ºC.



Peach Raspberry Ricotta Crumble Cake 

Ingredients
110g greek yoghurt
1/2 tsp bicarb soda
1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup raw caster sugar
90g softened unsalted butter
15g almond meal
Finely grated zest 1 lemon
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking powder
optional - 1/4 cup milk
2 eggs
3 small ripe peaches or nectarines, halved and thinly sliced
60g raspberries plus extra to serve
100g firm ricotta, crumbled
Icing sugar, sifted for dusting

Method

Grease and line the base and sides of an 18cm cake tin with baking paper. Preheat oven to 180°C (conventional). Place the yoghurt and bicarb soda in a large jug. Stir to combine then set aside to foam for 3 minutes.

Place the flour, sugar, butter, almond meal, lemon rind, vanilla, baking powder and a pinch of salt in a food processor and process until crumbly. Transfer 1/2 cup of the mixture to a separate bowl and set aside. Add the eggs and the yoghurt mixture to the food processor and pulse until smooth. If the batter seems a little thick add the milk. Spread half the mixture into the cake tin and scatter with half the peach slices, half the raspberries, half the ricotta and half the reserved crumb mixture. Spread the remaining cake mixture over and smooth the top. Top with the remaining fruit, ricotta and crumb mixture and bake until golden and an inserted skewer comes clean, about 1 - 1¼ hours (cover with foil if browning too quickly).




Cool in the tin for 15 minutes then turn onto a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 days. Just before serving, dust the cake with icing sugar. Serve extra raspberries on the side and a dollop of cream if desired.




The cake was well received at work and I already have plans to add a layer of ricotta and crumble to my much loved plum cake recipe.

See you all again soon.

Bye for now,

Jillian
PRINT RECIPE

No comments

Post a Comment

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.